Monday, January 03, 2005

New Year was spent in the company of Rob (the Boy Wonder) and assorted friends from university (and beyond) at the annual DOGS New Year party. This year we went off to a Scout centre near to Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire. We walked (rivers, mud, pubs, rain and hail all included); we ate (far too much, but very nice it was too); and we drank (I'll be off the gin for a while, I think). It was - as ever - lovely to see everyone, and it was also nice to be told that my man's a "top quality random". I think that's a good thing; certainly Rob's talking about attending NY next year, so thay can't have been *that* scary!

We got back home yesterday evening, and in that time I've made two recipes from one of my new cookbooks: home-made burgers and healthy chips last night; lasagne today. The lasagne was particularly impressive - it has a layer of butternut squash in the middle, uses creme fraiche instead of bechemel sauce, and is generally very scrummy. Hurrah for postponing my diet! :-) Rob says that he'll cook for me next time - I've already requested coq-au-vin but apparently it requires a three year old cock, so I'm not sure I'll get it next weekend. And yes, you are allowed to smirk at that last sentence.

I've now got just under a week to get organised for the start of term. I have lots of planning and sorting to do, plus gubbins for Guides and D of E. I'm also meant to be going with Lesley for her 8 month pregnancy scan. It should be a productive week, provided I managed to get out of bed in the mornings. Pah.

No comments: