Saturday, September 10, 2005

In between bits of teaching and Guides, including a manic cleaning session at our Guide hall this afternoon, I've been trying to get my head round getting married. The key requirements are a) some sort of service, so that we are actually hitched; and b) a big party for all the people we want around. Neither is as simple as it sounds. I've spent three days talking weddings with anyone who's not fast enough to run away, have already forgotten who I've told what to, and have basically lost the plot. I've bought a notebook for all those sudden thoughts that happen when you least expect it, like when you're teaching a very mundane topic; Rob's set up at least one spreadsheet; the cats are practising being bridesmaids: it's all go here!

So far, we've made a sort-of decision about location (Repton) and time (February half term or Easter holiday 2006, depending on hall availability), reached some firm agreement about what we like and don't like, and I've made a half-hearted, mouth-open-in-bewilderment attempt to look at wedding dresses online. To be honest, so long as I can wear my new flowery docs under my outfit I'm not too bothered what I wear!

In true geeky style, and following in the footsteps of the King of Geeks and his good lady wife, we've set up a wedding blog. Rob's already dreaming of .pdf documents for people to download from the site while I've been trying to justify buying a good digital camera and a flickr pro account rather than hiring a proper wedding photographer. Even now, at 11.00pm on a Saturday evening, we're sitting on the sofas geeking away. It seems there is no hope for us: we might as well have this wedding online!

2 comments:

thribble said...

Find a good photographer. Please! Actually, I recommend Simon, http://www.shphoto.co.uk/, a friend from uni. He has a landrover and likes minis. Not possibly the best recommendation, but there you go.

Anonymous said...

The best wedding I have been to was held in London Zoo earlier this month, and you might want to look at their exhaustive website for inspiration. That is, the happy couple's, not the Zoo's!
http://www.zoolyweds.co.uk

Katie