Thursday, July 14, 2005

One of the best things about school holidays is that I can sleep for as long as I want in the morning, without worry about missing first lesson. In fact, the absence of a rigid routine is a blessing in its own right: I can even get away without wearing a watch. It takes a while for me to snap out of 'wake up early' mode, but once I'm in touch with my inner sleeper I feel capable of sleeping for Britain in 2012. Today I even managed to wake up, finish reading the book I started last night, and then fall back to sleep - it's like the triple jump for somnambulists.

Another good thing about the holidays is time: time to potter about; time to be with friends; time to spend more than just a rushed weekend with the Boy Wonder. I've even managed to go shopping: CDs, books, a new pair of shorts... it's all excitement here. I've even found time to tidy up my flat, albeit to find bits of paperwork that have become lost under piles of other paperwork and camping equipment.

However, in a week and a half, my flat stops being mine. Everything, from spices to furniture, becomes 'ours'. Rob has got a job up here and moves in next weekend. While this pleases me intensely it's also a tad scary: how the hell am I meant to squeeze him into a flat where every nook and cranny is jammed full of my clutter? Being ruthless is the only way, I fear. Goodbye to those jeans that I might, one day, be able to fit into again - I bought them when I was 17 and there's years of wear left in them. Tarra to back issues of Private Eye that I was keeping for the cartoons. Farewell to drawers full of old socks that only get worn at the extreme end of a laundry crisis. In the grand scheme of things, I think it will be good for me.

Damn. That's tha phrase I use when trying to persuade the kids to do something that's going to be tough and hard work. I've been a teacher too long.

At least I've not described it as 'character forming' yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not as scary as it first seems ... At least your flat is somewhat larger than ours, mind you we do have a loft to hide boxes/ seasonal & camping gear/ not used stuff in. Besides there's nothing better than knowing you can get a hug & kiss every night of the week if you want ... you don't have to do it, but the option is there.
That said I've still not got to the 'Caz clear out stuff' stage and Dr T's been living here for just over 9 months now (now that's a bit scary it doesn't seem that long).

DaveP said...

The next thing you'll know, there will be a lump of squashed carbon (or similar) attached to a finger on your left hand!