Sunday, June 05, 2005

Little did the Boy Rob realise, when he arrived on Friday evening just gone, what excitment lay in store this weekend. Not only was there Chinese food and beer, but also a trip to a Swedish furniture shop and a puzzle over how to fit it all in the Boringmobile. Luckily, he's an adaptable sort of mug guy, and took it all in his stride, and even pretended to enjoy erecting shelves on a Saturday night when he could have been out drinking. The shelf units came in boxes that are exactly two centimetres shorter than the distance from the front windscreen to the back windscreen when laid on the tops of seats in a Golf, and necessitated very VERY careful driving back on the motorway: rarely do I willingly set the cruise control at 50mph!

The finished units are fantastic. One has gone into the sitting room to replace an old sideboard acquired by my mother when I first moved here - the sideboard's contents have gone into storage boxes that fill just the bottom shelf, so there's plenty of room for my book collection to continue expanding! The other shelves, far more bijou in all directions, have gone into the kitchen to hold pans, plates, and other assorted cooking type gubbins. I now have a far emptier work surface and two emptier cupboards: time to start filling them with more junk, methinks!

The erection* was interspersed with cooking and eating, including a pudding experiment, a pancake experiment and a steak experiment. The first was good and the latter two were moderately successful, with futher research being planned. I like cooking. Sadly my waistband is starting to show this: time to get back to the healthy eating, I think!

* of shelves, of course. What did you think I meant?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we need a photo of the finished erections...

Mad said...

They're already on my flickr account - hit the 'phonotos' link! :-)

Anonymous said...

Ya wouldn't have got them in the Madmobile I take it, then? No doubt Caz will now start extolling the virtues of estate-mobiles when visiting Swedish furniture shops.

Amy said...

Those matching pots and plates... Well what can you say about them, expensive (but I bet you got them cheep)... I better be quiet now!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't the Madmobile just a boringmobile with more interesting wheels and bodywork?

Anonymous said...

.. and no boot! I seem to remember one had to put camping chairs on the back seat due to lack of boot!

... and it nice having a HUGE boot. Fabia estate = small car with a huge boot for site junk/ yellow blob stuff/ camping stuff.

Also you can't sit in the back of a hatchback (portable office style we're talking here) although mine does have a small lip so you sort of have to sink into the boot!

Mad said...

Amy - I certainly did get them cheap, but it didn't stop a friend making comments about wedding bells when she saw them! :-)

Si - the Madmobile had a bigger engine as well as a different body shape and no boot, but effectively, yes, it's the same car.

Amy said...

I was staying clear of the wedding/nest building comments Mad, but as you have made them...

Simon said...

I'm confused, am I just being a bloke?

If you're heading towards getting married don't you avoid buying nice plates so you get your friends and relatives to buy them for you?

Or is this just Amy looking for any old excuse to insinuate gossip.

Simon said...

"* of shelves, of course. What did you think I meant?"

I thought you meant shelves, to be honest.

Mad said...

Amy? Stir gossip?! Shure shome mishtake!

I bought the plates etc on the principle that it could be YEARS before I manage to get married - why should single people be limited to crap old pots and pans?! Now, of course, they just add fuel to the rumour fire! ;-)