Monday, April 11, 2005

Nestling at the back of my drinks fridge I found not one, not two, but four bottles of champagne/sparkling wine. I'm always loathe to open a bottle when I'm by myself - I've never been able to work out how to drink it all before it goes flat. However, on Jen's hen weekend I learnt the trick of 'teaspoon in bottle mouth keeps champagne sparkling' Eager to try out this technique, I managed to persuade myself to crack open a bottle last night (I justified the extravagance by refering to Champagne's limited shelf-life, and the fact that some of these bottle have been in the drinks fridge for quite some time. I'd hate to offer guests a glass of champagne, only for them to die from fizz poisoning. It would have been rude not to have tried it out. So far, it seems to be fine.)

Last night I drank half the bottle, and this evening, on removing the spoon, came the moment of truth... Was it still fizzy? Would I be forced to drink the remaining half a bottle through gritted teeth, bewailing and bemoaning the lack of bubble? Luckily for me, the bubbles had stayed. I never knew that teaspoons had such power. As I type, I'm just about to start my second glass of the evening. Rock and roll!

3 comments:

thribble said...

Two things. Firstly, with a drinks fridge, you wouldn't need a political party - just a,well, party. Secondly, how did you get the teaspoon in the bottle?

Anonymous said...

hey - if that was the champagne from tours region, you have admirable self control... mine went within a couple of months of return to blighty...

perhaps this is the kind of grown up approach that comes with a drinks fridge?
Charl

Mad said...

This wasn't from our Tours expedition: I certainly don't have that much self-control! However, a drinks fridge is a GREAT thing and I urge everyone to get one.

The teaspoon goes handle down into the bottle, with the bowl of the spoon resting on top of the bottle's opening. I was dubious about its powers, but it worked a treat. :-)