Monday, March 14, 2005

I got my reports in by 10.30am, which isn't too long after the deadline. Now, though, I just feel lke crumpling into a heap and snoring for England! Mind you, the road-mender-men-in-boilersuits spent this morning making a hole. As I walked to break, I noticed that it was filled with wet cement. As I walked back from break, the cement proudly bore two shoe prints and a hand print. At the end of fourth lesson, I stood out in the street talking to a colleague, getting full benefit of the fresh tarmac used to cover the cement. It smells just like the permanent markers we used to use as children - "vandal pens" we called them - and I'm sure I got a head rush as I bimbled off to carry on teaching. Rock'n'roll!

(It just says a lot about the excitement on offer in a teacher's life if the most thrilling part of the day involves sniffing tarmac)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the few things I miss about Highways ... the smell of fresh warm tarmac. It's of course a bit of a carconogen (?sp) so not that good for you (spoiling all our fun), maybe this accounts for the lack of intelligence in our Clerk of Works .. more likely too much Sheppey in the blood.
Its the bitumen in the macadam (the proper name for the black stuff as it hasn't contained tar for years!) that's the good smell so look for people having their rooves redone as well!
Now I just have to don the shades and watch boats for similar site niceness....