Thursday, November 25, 2004

Tonight was the Guide district's Christmas celebration. As a district, we've not done anything more exciting than a coach trip out for at least 4 years; probably a lot longer. The local Guiders are, in general, very conservative (with a small 'c', you note) and it took a lot of persuading to get them to try something new. In the end, I bulldozed my way through their opposition and planned tonight's event in such a way that it was fait accompli by the time they got to hear about it. Tut tut. The evening went brilliantly: cakes; games; a make you own Christmas card stall; and all of the units up on stage performing songs, dances and plays. We even had the Div Com come to present a couple of 5-year service badges - a new introduction to the range of long-service awards, and they're presenting to everyone who has done between 5 and 9 years' service. One of the Brownie Guiders got hers, and so did I.

The irony is that I'm due my 10 year badge in 14 days' time: better late than never!

3 comments:

Caz said...

No hint of 5 year Badges around here ... hopefully I won't have hassles as I've pretty much done 5 years in this county alone. My 10 year one is due next year due to the break I had when I moved back here (mind you I think it took them a while to sort me out a Pre-warrant card ... but I'm prepared to battle out this fact).

Hmm something to stir about at the next Div Meeting! (As our DC won't ask about this fact as she's past 10years service...).

We have the Toby Cavery (again) this year for the District meal out ... except the DC booked before consultation at District Meeting. It would seem the Guiders are voting with their feet as only 2 out of 7 units will have Guiders there! Opps... We also have our unit festive curry 2 days later which will be a far more jolly/ chatty affair.

Anonymous said...

But it's not even December yet!
Tom

Mad said...

Aye, but as it was held in the school hall, we needed to get it done before exams and Christmas concerts started happening: we've not got much of term left once they're out the way!