Thursday, September 23, 2004

I've been having a bit of a duff time recently. Not duff as in 'really, really, EXTREMELY crappy' but duff as in over-committed and failing to do any job well because I don't have enough time. I've begun to feel guilty when I stop working to take some time out, because I know there's a huge pile of marking waiting to be done. I feel generally over-stretched and stressed, and it's making me short-tempered and snappy with the kids. This weekend coming is Duke of Edinburgh expedition - my first as the D of E co-ordinator - and there's been shitloads of tents, waterproofs and rucksacks to sort out. It's been rubbish.

Today, though, I got to escape from school to go to Brum for a D of E conference. I came back feeling far more positive about the whole thang, and then found this lovely message in my inbox:

Diss highlights: Workplace let down: 1; Lecturer insulted: 1 Words over: 1,500 New undergraduates scared in the library: 3 (scary big hair has a lot to answer for) Terrors over inaccurate representation of archive: 2.5 Friend's website current record for stress busting: 100%!! Have fun with your course! Charl

It's good to know we bring pleasure to some! In fact, Auntie Charl has obviously got quite a lot of work to avoid, because she's also written this:

Mark iii charl wisdom (also known as avoiding dissertation supremo) re viola playing: you need to purchase some 'self deluding earphones' available from selected stores: like their equivalent, the 'self deluding specs', apparently excellent results can be achieved with the minimum of work / self flagellation for crapness/ mediocrity [nb: not for communal use. May cause long term allergies - patch test before use]

Seems I'm not the only one having a work crisis!

No comments: