Thursday, January 22, 2004

Many, many years ago I was a regular gig-goer, heading off to the Civic Hall in Wolverhampton as frequently as my £2.50-a-week pocket money would allow. We watched all sorts: loud bands, quiet bands, big ensembles, solo acts, unknowns and big names (well - biggish names - after all, Wolvo's Civic Hall is hardly the number one stopping point for the giants of Rawk Moosic). One memorable night we watched the Sultans of Ping - very loud, raw, bouncy, drums-and-banging-bassline, great lyrics - and ever since then I've been after a copy of Teenage Drug, the album they were promoting at the time. I only ever saw it in shops when I was broke; they'd always sold out when I was flush. Eventually it slipped out of print (well - the CD equivalent) and I was left bereft. Reluctant to part with 25 smackers (the asking price on ebay) I thought I was destined to remain alone. The other day, however, I found a copy whilst mooching through amazon, for the most reasonable price of £14. It arrived today, and it's on repeat play very loud and I'm grinning like a maniac and dancing very wildly. Waaaaaaa!!

No comments: