Sunday, June 15, 2003

Things I realised this weekend:

1. I am somewhat pink. Actually, that's an understatement: I am BLOOMIN' PINK. I'm continuously rubbing moisturiser into my shoulders/arms, which is making typing sticky and somewhat difficult, but that's the price you have to pay if you forget to pack suncream when you go away for a sunny weekend. Hey ho.

2. I am getting old. Once upon a time, I'd turn up to Scout camp with a four-pack/eight-pack/twelve-pack of bitter (depending whether I was just visiting for an hour or actually stopping over night). When I started going to SSAGO rallies I met the charming K, who introduced me to the delights of port drank stright from the bottle. Now, however, the beverage of choice is wine, which suggests that I'm far too growed up for my own good. Better get that sorted before this summer's round of residential events gets underway! (Mind you, I'm not old yet enough to keep a corkscrew in the car, so it's a good job that there were other, even more mature people on camp too!)

3. I'm quite fond of children. I know that this should be a bit obvious, being a teacher and Guide leader and all, but at times this weekend I felt vaguely clucky and maternal. Out of this weekend's revelations, this is possibly the most scary. After all, I will go brown very quickly (provided I keep up the applications of gunk-stuff) and can easily swap back from wine to bitter, but this whole kid mallarky is tad too close for comfort. So here's a plea for any of you couples out there: please have children quickly so I can satisfy my cluckiness being Auntie Mad, otherwise my mother's gonna be very shocked when I turn up for Christmas wearing much bigger clothes than usual.

No comments: